Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life after law school?

I have been thinking a lot lately about what happens after law school……Why? For seven years I have placed my life on hold in many respects. Certainly, for the past 3 years this is very true. I stopped doing things I enjoyed, neglected friendships, and other things in order to focus school. I am not saying this is a bad thing. I had to. Law school is like a demanding husband/wife/mistress—pulling on your time, always expecting something more out of you, never quite satisfied, never letting up.
I told a prospective student the other day, that if I could have changed anything at all about my law school experience, it would have been to work my job for credit, rather than for a paycheck. Why? Because the work hours were on TOP of the hours I studied, the hours I was in class and all other things that pull at my time. If I had received credit for it, at least then it would have not been one more plate I spun in the air. One more thing to pull me in another direction---but I digress.

In order to accomplish everything, I did let things slip. And as I stand at the edge of the finish line, I realize that life is waiting for me out there…….I am going to be able to have time to play my beloved taylor more often, meet with my friends, be there for my extended family, actually pay attention to my best friend, sing on the worship team at church again, become involved in community activities---whatever makes me happy.

I know I am making this sound like, gee, I won’t have to work, and work won’t be demanding…..I am not saying that at all. Work is going to kick my rear and be demanding and pull on my time. But, I have not forgotten what it was like to work day in and day out in a demanding, stressful job. I did that before coming to school. The stress is different. Manageable somehow. And quite frankly, I don’t know what is more stressful in this life, than juggling all the plates that I have juggled for seven years now. Anything else is a cakewalk.
So, I keep asking myself, what AM I going to do with myself once school is over? And the answer is clear. I am going to study for the bar and enjoy life for a few months. Honestly. I am going to take a few weeks to just chill. To walk in the park on a sunny day, to smile at a child with ice cream on her face, to have a pedicure with my best friend, to make a new friend, to notice the flower growing amongst the weeds, heck, I might even go on a date [what the heck is that?]………..whatever. I am getting my life back and darn it, it’s gonna be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment