Friday, October 9, 2009

Movie Review: The Boys are Back

Last night, I had the opportunity to go to a screening of the film, The Boys Are Back [it's a Miramax film]. Clive Owen plays Joe Warr, a grieving widow who is struggling to raise his young son Artie. Joe institutes this "Just Say Yes" philosophy of single parenting, I think to ease his young sons grief at losing his mother. To add to the mix, Harry, a teenage son Joe left behind 8 years before in England, decides that he wants to spend time with his father. What follows is a poignant journey of a family trying to find their way through the grief that each of them is suffering for life's losses.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I cried, I laughed hysterically at times, and I identified completely with Joe on several occasions as I watched his attempts at being a single parent. In the end, Joe finds that while single parenthood is an inadequate parental unit for raising kids, that he likes it. That he is happy and fulfilled. That sometimes he is lonely, but that life is really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment