Monday, January 26, 2009

New tip for law students: work out!!!

Seriously, find the time to work out. I wish I would have set a priority for this during my first year. There is so much stress that goes on during law school. In the two weeks I have been working out, I have felt a HUGE difference in my overall mood and stress levels. When I am feeling stressed now, I put the Ipod on, and then take it out on the eliptical machine.......I also hired a personal trainer who I can get mad and frusterated at on a frequent basis, but that is not always feasible on a law school budget.

What I am getting at is stress leads to alot of unpleasant side effects: weight gain, high blood pressure, sleep deprivation, depression, insomnia, lots of viral infections/colds, or just plain mean and moodiness. I am sure there are more effects but those came quickly to mind.

Exercise releases endorphines to your body that counter some of these effects. I have been an insomniac for years now, but since seriously working my body, I find myself resting a whole lot better. Also, instead of feeling like I am wound up like a rubber band that is going to snap inside, I feel relaxed and ready to face everything.

So, try not to neglect this in your daily habits. You will feel better and have more energy. I work out in the mornings, and my mental focus is very SHARP right after when I have classes. If you are not working out yet, consider starting before you come to law school so that it becomes habit....you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment