Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ethics?

I had an extremely distressing experience in class this week. We had an attorney in one of my classes this week who was a guest lecturer. While he was describing a real trial he did that day he made statements that pointed out that he had failed to report child abuse [as an officer of the court you are a mandated reporter] and he used threat of punishment of a crime as a means to settle a custody dispute. What bothers me the most is that he thinks he did nothing wrong. At first I thought it was just me, but I talked to other students and they were bothered as well.

Next, I talked to my boss who is a mandatory reporter as well and practices in the family law section. As I explained she said that he had breached his duty and by using an inferred threat to settle, he committed a crime.

Now I am left with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. This attorney is well respected in this community. I am going to do what I know is right, but the hard part of being "ethical" and doing right, is knowing that there could be retaliation or consequences...............As a student you always hear about those slimy attorney's who give all attorney's a bad name----you just never think you are going to have one guest lecturing in your class!

No comments:

Post a Comment