Sunday, February 10, 2008

Super Tuesday

Okay, so you know that you are in law school when the biggest social event of the week are the Super Tuesday parties going on! I have to say that I was very amused by this development.

I also was somewhat surprised for the results of Super Tuesday. As a politics major, I tune into anything political. I was the nerd, with two televisions on in the house tuned to CNN and Fox News, watching the returns roll in. (I should note that I have tuned out MSNBC because I do not like all the personal attacks that have occurred--this is my opinion, of course--over the last year or so on political figures).

As I see it, the Republicans have a problem. The best any one candidate can do is gain a plurality. The three candidates who we were handed were McCain (a liberal leaning moderate), Romney (a moderate, moderate, who once leaned liberal, but turned right when he decided to run), and the dark horse Huckabee (who is so right, as to scare even this born-again Christian!).

The Democrats have just as many problems. This race, we are handed with something slightly more interesting than the above problem. We are handed a change vs. establishment race. Obama (liberal as, if not more than, Kennedy--Ted that is) and Ms. Clinton (Hillary Care, need I say more)? What is interesting about this is simply the potential that Obama has to fight and win the machine of the Clintons. Eight years ago, the democratic party were giddy and in a full fledged love affair with the Clintons. Today, Obama can do something that no other candidate has done in years--he excites new and young voters AND he mobilizes those in the party that think he would be a big mistake.

This race, I am an independent. Yep. I am an undecided, really. I will be honest enough to say this: Even though I deplore the foreign policy plan that Mr. Obama is touting, there is something about the man that I am fascinated by. Whether it is charisma, youth, good looks, confidence, or message--I have yet to figure out. I am drawn to watching him speak because he is an orator that America has not seen since the days of Martin Luther King Jr. (And no wonder, he has studied the mans speaking mannerisms). But I think it's more than that. I think this man really believes he can make a change in a system that is by design, a system meant to slow the tide of change.

Anyway, this was all a long winded way of saying: Law school = a LOT of politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment