Saturday, February 23, 2008

Book Review: "The Nine" by Jeffery Toobin

Last week one of my professors recommended "The Nine" to our class. I was looking for something I could read, non-fiction, that I could get into, and so I purchased it.

If you are thinking about attending law school (or if you are currently a student), I HIGHLY recommend this book. I wish I would have read this prior to coming to law school. The book gives the reader a behind the scenes look at the Justices on the Supreme Court, their ideology, and their personal beliefs and lives. The author also details many of the Surpreme Court cases that I have read this year, and explains how deals were brokered behind the scenes.

Society often sees these men (and woman) as above the rest of us in some cloistered lifestyle. Yes, they are cloistered, but they are not immune from the very struggles that we the people (the ordinary ones) face. They carry the same dreams, the same fears, and face the same struggles like Cancer, Alzheimer's, bigotry, and paternalism.

The book also chronicles power brokers, lobbyests, and influential legal minds and how they have shaped decisions within the last 25-30 years of history.

Beware that if you are a conservative, that there are times that it may outright offend you. The author clearly has a political ideology agenda and is particularlly vicious and unflattering of the right. The book was written with an obvious bias, but that does not diminish the importance of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment