Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Madness Begins.....

Yep, that's right, school is in session and no longer out for summer. This week has been a mix of stress. I just moved, my daughter has not started school yet, I am still working, and oh yeah---school is added into the mix.

I did do a few last minute changes to the 'ole schedule for the first time. I dropped Terror Detainees because I go in to Oregon Criminal Procedure and Practice taught by Oregon Chief Supreme Court Justice Paul Demuniz. I also dropped International Enviornmental Law in favor of Sexuality & Discrimination.

This week, I have had fun catching up with people I have not seen all summer. Also, checking in with Professors, and just plain seeing what my classes and schedule will be like. But with that comes the reality that again, my life is not my own.

Chief Justice Demuniz is a riot. The man is intensely intelligent, and witty to boot. He said on the first day of class, that at law school we are taught by professors to throw all the shit at the wall when we write. He said as judge, "We don't have time to read all that crap. So what I am going to do is teach you how to write for a judge." YAY--something practical.

The third, and final year, comes with a sense of excitement. The end is in sight and it is both exilerating and terrifying. I am ready to move into the real world, but the scary thing is that I don't know what that real world will look like. There are alot of unknowns involved.

Also, knowing that it is my last year, that I have real world experience in the courtroom, had leant itself for a good amount of confidence in myself that maybe I was lacking before. I am reminded of why I started this journey and how worthwhile it has been.

But finally, entering my first year, makes me want to give back to the entering 1L's. I have survived and I guess I want to pass on some hope that they too, will make it through this journey to join the exclusive law school alumni club.

No comments:

Post a Comment