Tuesday, November 4, 2008

More impressions......

My daughter cried, "We're going to die." Somehow, someone convinced her that Obama meant the end of the world and we are all going to die. Now, it was not me....honestly. I did not speak ill of Obama to her. I did not reveal who I voted for because honestly, until I sat down to vote, I remained undecided. She gave me a good laugh and then we sat down to watch his acceptance speech.

I was moved. The man is a great orator. Do I believe every promise? No. But I don't believe that of any politician. But the strangest thing moved me.........I elluded to it in an earlier post: the making of history.

I watched Jesse Jackson as tears rolled down his face, watch Obama speak. And I thought that this is the man that walked along side Martin Luther King Jr. and fought long and hard for equal protection under the law---what was he feeling knowing that because of the work he had done, Obama was making that speech? Now, this was strange for me. I am not a big fan of Jackson politically. But to be a part of a generation that watched that moment....I paused. I told my daughter, "You watch this. This is an important moment being made in history. Remember this."

In the span of Obama's 47 years, he was born to a world which did not recognize him as equal. He experienced discrimination and racism. Yet, in the span of his lifetime, he has fulfilled his dream. And in doing so, fulfilled the dreams of those who toiled the fields of racism for years before him. If for no other reason, our nation should be proud of the fact that today is the day that the nation decided based on political message, not the color of one man's skin.....

Now I just wait for the day that this applies to women.......

No comments:

Post a Comment