Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Safety Net

I found myself the other day researching graduate schools.  I have been struggling with the fact that many of my friends are returning to law school, but I am now graduated and out of the club.  What is funny to me is they think I am nuts for wanting to be in classes.  I tell them graduating is not always all it's cracked up to be.  I found myself looking at options for forensic psychology or an LLM/JSD.  I am frankly confused by my behavior.

Then an astute family member said something to me.  School was my safety net.  I knew the rules, I was really good at it, and it's safe.  Right now I am without a safety net, my future is a bit uncertain, I have no job --- but rest assured I am ready to conquer this new area.

She was right.  I want to go back because I know I do not fail at school.  And right now, my life is in a holding pattern.  I really cannot do much until my bar results.  So I am stuck.  Without direction, and seemingly without a purpose.  I like goals, I like direction, I like to know where I am going.  Where I am at is scary and I am not seeing it as a fun journey, but an out of control roller coaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment