Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My First Legal Spanking

I was in court Monday doing my law clerk experience. I can't really talk about what was going on, because of confidentiality reasons. What I can say is that I got a really good spanking from the judge for something that was not my fault. Our office did not get one of the parents served with the petition and summons, so that the parent would have the 10 day notice required by law. I tried contacting the parent's attorney before court, but the attoreny never returned my phone calls. So when we were in court, I turned to counsel and pointed out there was a service defect and would he be willing to waive the defect? This attorney got belligerent with me and refused. Okay, that's fine.

So, I asked the court to order the parent to appear in 10 days, since the parent was present. The judge said no can do. He said, "I am not going to take your case for you Ms. _____. It is within the state's power to insure that the defendant is served in time for the hearing. The court cannot help it if you did not accomplish this."

Okay, I smiled, said I understood and moved right along. However, in my head I was mentally kicking the person whose job it is to tell me whether the person is served in time. Oh well, it was bound to happen sometime, yes? As a good friend said, it's not the spanking they will hold against you, it is how you handle it that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment